One day each year for the past 29 years the beachfront of Imperial Beach, Coronado’s southern neighbor, have been transformed into a whimsical wonderland of sand sculptures.
The 30th U.S. Open Sandcastle Competition takes place this Sunday, August 8th from 9:00 am until 2:00 pm. During this time teams of sand sculptors work their magic creating massive works of art.
The teams are categorized into master and amateur categories and include from 3 to 10 members, all vying for a share of the $21,000 in cash prizes to be awarded.
It is amazing to see what the teams create, the details they can achieve and the themes they choose. I just love walking through the sand sculptures and find something to delight in everywhere I turn.
Although the sandcastle competition is the highlight of the Sandcastle Weekend, it is actually a three day event filled with entertainment, food and activities.
Friday ~ August 6, 2010
Mayor’s Community Breakfast, 9:00 am, Veteran’s Park Imperial Beach Blvd.
Sandcastle Days Kickoff Dance, 7:00 pm to midnight, Boys & Girls Club of Imperial Beach
Saturday ~ August 7, 2010
Food & Craft Sales, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, Seacoast Drive
Entertainment, 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, Seacoast Drive
- Rock Star Gymnastics 9:00 am – 10:00 am
- California Music Studios 10:00 am – 11:30 am
- The Don Lee Band 11:45 am – 12:20 pm
- Hocus Music 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm
- B.W Jazz Dance School 1:15 pm – 1:35 pm
- Pan Am Tae Kwon Do Academy 1:45 pm – 3:00 pm
- Friskies Hula Hoop Competition 5:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Kids’ n Kastles Competition, 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm with awards at 4:00 pm at the Pier Plaza Stage
Sunday ~ August 8, 2010
Food & Craft Sales, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Seacoast Drive
Entertainment, 10:00 am to 3:30 pm, Seacoast Drive
- One I Red 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Mezza 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Natalie Wattre 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm
- CoDE Music 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
30th U.S. Open Sandcastle Competition, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm with awards at 4:00 pm at the Pier Plaza Stage
I hope you get the chance to marvel at the elaborate ‘sandcastles’ this weekend!